Monday, January 24, 2011

About Me


Hello! My name is Emma Lookabaugh and I wanted to start off our new blog by telling you all a little bit about myself.  I am a graduate research assistant at the Plant Disease and Insect Clinic at North Carolina State University.  I worked at the PDIC for several years as an undergraduate student and fell in love with the dynamic field of Plant Pathology.   

Clinic Responsibilities
Some my responsibilities as an undergraduate included performing routine assays, running ELISA virus screening assays, using BIOLOG to identify bacterial pathogens, making slide mounts to observe pathogen structures under the microscope, invoicing and clerical work, and basic lab maintenance.  As a graduate research assistant, I have worked towards expanding my diagnostic abilities considerably.  One of my main responsibilities is tomato disease diagnosis under the direction of Dr. Frank Louws.  I have worked with Dr. Louws to learn how to recognize most of the major tomato diseases we see here in North Carolina.  In addition to tomato diagnosis, I am also working on a research project under the direction of Dr. Barbara Shew.  Currently, my research is focused on Pythium root rot in greenhouse ornamentals.  


No comments:

Post a Comment